Monday 4 August 2014

When At Home...

So it's pretty good timing that I've started this blog whilst I'm staying at home rather than at university because, as you can expect from most students, I do most of my eating when I'm back at home!
What I'm going to tell you about is one of the best things about coming home (food-wise) for me, and this is the fact that not too far away from where I live is a fish and chip shop that have a Gluten Free menu! The first time I found out about this place I was over the moon, I thought I'd waved goodbye to a good old chippy for good! But no, thanks to the lovely people at Wolverhampton's, 'Chip Stop' I still get to indulge in what is quite frankly the dish us Brits do best.

On our first visit there we had a lovely chat to the guy who runs the place, who was telling us all about how some family members of his also have Coeliac Disease, and immediately it's reassuring to know that the people serving you know a lot about it.
It is on Tuesdays and Saturdays when this particular chip shop offer their Gluten Free menu because on these days they have a separate Gluten Free batter which means they are able to serve fish, chips, onion rings, you name it! Unfortunately sausage in batter is not an option but I half expected this because more often than not, sausages themselves contain Gluten already.
Any way, so every time I'm back home, my awesome Mom drives me down on a Tuesday to, well, stuff my face! Now it's not a short drive away, about 40 minutes actually, so what we do is take a tray, drink and knife and fork each and when we have bought our food we eat it in the car on our laps before driving back! Not everyone's desired dining experience but when I'm getting to eat Gluten Free fish and chips, I couldn't care less where I did it!
This is what I had this week when we went: small fish and chips (yes that is a small!), onion rings and large curry sauce:

It's also good to note that when I've been there I have noticed the preparation and packing areas are separate to the other food so as to avoid cross contamination. And when my food was given to me it was marked with a 'GF' (Gluten Free) as not to confuse it with other orders.
All in all I LOVE this place. I hope they long continue to serve their gf menu and to anybody in the Wolverhampton area (or even 40 minutes away like we are) GO CHECK THEM OUT!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment