Tuesday 12 August 2014

Eating Out: ASK Italian

For a couple of nights last week I stayed with my sister Lucie. She also has Coeliac Disease and so it's safe to say that when we are together we do a lot of eating! It's fun to explore new gluten free food together so whilst I was there she decided she would take me out for a meal, lush!
I find that when eating out, the majority of restaurants with the best gluten free menu's are Italians, which is great, who doesn't love pizza?! I've tried almost all of them (I think) but one I hadn't tried yet was ASK. SO, we did what we had to do and we went there!

Like most Italian restaurants offering gluten free food they had both pasta and pizza available:


 I originally chose to have a pizza but soon after got told that they had run out of gluten free pizza bases. Boo :( Now, this either means they don't stock enough of them, possibly assuming that not many people are in need OR maybe their gluten free pizza is so wonderful that all the local Coeliacs rushed there and ate them all before I got there! I hope it's the latter.
So on a second glance at the menu I decided to go for a pasta dish, despite the fact I'd already had carbonara for lunch that day! (ignore all the carbs in that sentence). Here's what it looked like:


My sister ordered a new gluten free dish they have on their menu, sounds (and looks) really good:


And did I like the food? Well, I'll let this picture do the talking:

Overall the experience was just fairly normal. No exceptional fuss was made over the fact we were ordering gluten free meals. Sometimes extra attention can be reassuring as you know you're definitely getting what you asked for but other times the fuss can be a bit embarrassing and in some cases patronising. So it was actually quite pleasant to have a normal eating experience!
I'm definitely going back again because I need to try that pizza!
Also next time I go I have to try their desserts because HOW AMAZING DOES THIS SOUND?!

It's always super exciting when restaurants offer gluten free desserts because this is quite rare. And lets be honest, we've all always got room for chocolate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment