Monday 18 August 2014

Hair Washing Woes

For the last three/nearly four years I have been sticking to a strict gluten free diet. Although this means avoiding a tonne of food it's manageable because there are plenty alternatives. However recently I discovered it's not just certain foods I have to avoid.
I have previously read that some beauty products might contain gluten, in particular lipsticks/lip glosses and as this is a product you put on your mouth I definitely try to avoid them or at least check the ingredients before using. However even more annoyingly it seems that apparently people also like to stick wheat in shampoo. Don't ask me why! It's just there. Like an unwanted guest that turns up at a really bad time when it really isn't necessary for them to be there in the first place.
So, yeah, wheat in shampoo, lets talk about that. Unfortunately I found out the hard way. I was staying at my partner's house and somehow I forgot to take my shampoo with me into the shower. Now, nobody likes the freezing cold dash across the landing getting water everywhere and oops my boyfriend's Mom just saw me naked, so I just used what was already there. Looking back, I wish I had taken the risky run because what was already there was this: (L'Oreal Paris Elvive, Full Restore 5)

And what 'this' contains is this:












But of course, I didn't even think to check at the time because like I said, why the hell would there even be wheat in shampoo in the first place?!
So totally oblivious to the ingredients, I used the wheat infested shampoo.
It's not like I ate it (because, why would you?) so surely it had no affect on me, right?
WRONG.
For the next few days I had a horrendously itchy scalp which then blistered and became a scabby, itchy scalp which I clearly forgot about in my sleep so then became a very sore, scabby, itchy scalp and... I realise this is starting to sound gross so I'm going to stop.
Basically it wasn't pretty and I was gutted. It's really frustrating when you try so hard every day to be so careful and strict with everything you eat and then something like this happens which you didn't even think to check. And now I have to go around reading shampoo before I can use it? Annoying! Also that L'Oreal stuff is actually really good so I'm also a bit miffed that I can't use it anymore.
In the end, after a few washes with 'safe' shampoo, my scalp did start to heal itself and after a week was back to normal, phew!
So for any Coeliacs reading, albeit it might not have the same affect on everybody, I strongly suggest you avoid this shampoo (or any others in the range) and also to make sure to check the ingredients of everything else you use, just in case. As annoying as that may be it's also better to be safe than sorry! :)
Happy washing,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment